Interested in getting a Short Barreled Rifle? Don’t know how? Don’t like how daunting the task is? Here’s how to (legally) get a SBR.

Interested in getting a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) but don’t know how? Or maybe you do know how but don’t like how daunting the ATF paperwork is? Silencer Shop has you covered thanks to their new NFA kiosk, found all across the US. Here’s a quick walkthrough of how to wade through the ATF paperwork to easily (and legally) get your own SBR.

What is a SBR?

A SBR, or short barreled rifle, is a rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches or an overall rifle length of less than 26 inches. Having a length shorter than either of those classifies a rifle as a short barreled rifle, and falls under the NFA rules, which means it needs a $200 tax stamp to legally own.

Purchase online

Want to purchase a SBR and Form 1 online? It’s pretty easy thanks to Silencer Shop.

Step 1: Fill out the NFA paperwork at a Silencer Shop location or at a Silencer Shop Kiosk – here’s where to find one. This will handle the fingerprinting, photo, and other paperwork.

Step 2: Purchase the Form 1 Fillout, make sure to add a tax stamp to the options and progress through Silencer Shop’s checkout like a normal eCommerce process.

Step 3: Check your email for next steps from Silencer Shop.

Step 4: Click on the link provided in the email from Silencer Shop and fill out and submit the Form 1 info.

Step 5: Open up the email from DocuSign and sign that document.

Step 6: Wait on the ATF for your SBR.

Buy a SBR locally

Don’t want to purchase online and instead want to shop locally? Virtually all local gun shops selling NFA items are setup to take care of you. Check the Silencer Shop database to find a local gun shop that sells NFA items.

Give that shop a call and ask if they are setup for fingerprinting and the photo, most likely they are. Drop on by and they’ll happily help you out without going through the online steps. The process can take a while though, so be sure to have plenty of time in your schedule.

If you’re in the Austin, Texas area, I recommend Capitol Armory.

Getting a “SBR” without the NFA paperwork

Like virtually all government regulations, there’s ways to mostly get around it. Purchasing a “pistol” with a stabilizing brace allows you to have a short barreled rifle that is not classified as a rifle.

However, be warned, while the ATF currently doesn’t have a problem with shouldering braces at this time, that may change in the future. Similarly, it is possible to get in trouble with “intent to build a SBR” if you have “rifle” parts with your “pistol.” Simply make sure to have the pistol in a complete state and to never ever put a rifle length upper receiver on the pistol and to never put a rifle stock on the pistol.

Don’t want to deal with that potential headache? The other option is to use a 14.5″ barrel with a pinned muzzle device. As long as the permanent welding of the muzzle device brings the overall barrel length of the rifle to over 16″ – then it’s legally considered to be a rifle, not a SBR, but is slightly shorter than rifles with 16″ barrels and muzzle devices on top of that. While it isn’t as short as a true SBR, the only paperwork you need to fill out is signing the receipt of the gunsmith who welded the muzzle device.

Why do we have to do deal with NFA paperwork for a SBR?

As was previously mentioned, rifles with a barrel length under 16 inches or under an overall length of 26 inches are classified as SBRs and fall under the NFA regulations. NFA items require a $200 tax stamp, paperwork, fingerprinting, photo, and the ATF needs to know where it is.

While it is very unfortunate that Uncle Sam requires us to jump through all of these hoops in order to buy a rifle with a barrel shorter than sixteen inches, it is what we must do to obey the law. Failure to obey the NFA will make you a felon, which means you lose all of your 2nd Amendment rights. You do not want to joke around with the ATF.

In the meantime, contact your representatives and urge them to abolish the NFA.