Man Loses Leg After Shooting Lawnmower Filled with Tannerite (Follow Safety Guidelines!)

Tannerite is a safe to handle binary explosive popular among shooting enthusiasts. It is purchased in two separate compounds that are perfectly safe to handle and store. When the two are mixed together, they explode only when being struck by a high velocity projectile – like a bullet. Instagram is full of cool tannerite explosion videos.

The cool part about tannerite is the explosion – the… not so cool part is people can purchase explosives and completely ignore the safety guidelines from this dangerous product. The shrapnel from an explosion can kill or maim, which is why military explosives are designed to cause shrapnel and the tannerite safety guidelines specifically say to not put the tannerite in an object that can cause shrapnel.

This unfortunate shooter ignored the safety guidelines and lost a leg.

Man Loses Leg After Shooting Lawnmower Filled with Tannerite

Source video.

When shooting tannerite, follow the safety guidelines!

Place half pound and one pound targets at least 100 yards away and two pound targets at least 200 yards away. Do not store or transport mixed tannerite, only mix it right before shooting. Do not place tannerite inside of a surface that can cause shrapnel.

Upcoming Classes

More Austin classes coming soon

Categories: Firearms | Tags: ,

Brian Purkiss
Written by
Brian Purkiss is a firearms instructor, competitive shooter, proponent for individual liberty and Second Amendment rights, and a web developer. He enjoys competing in and organizing Run and Gun Competitions, as well as shooting in USPSA, Outlaw matches, and 3 Gun.