The F&D Defense XAR Invicta Folding AR-15 made quite the splash when it was first shown on the internet. The XAR is an AR-15 that folds in half where the handguard and barrel meets the upper receiver. This makes for an incredibly compact package for transportation, but still has quick deployment for use.
Haven’t seen this rifle? Here’s an overview of the XAR Invicta AR-15 from the Military Arms Channel.
Accuracy Testing the XAR Folding AR-15
The XAR Invicta folding AR-15 performs at about 1 MOA or better depending on ammo selection – that’s 1 inch or less at 100 yards. But the question on everyone’s mind is quite obvious, how well does it retain zero after folding and un folding?
The rifle’s consistency between folding and unfolding is incredibly surprisingly consistent, with one caveat. The first few shots out of the recently shot and folded rifle open up the group to about 3 MOA, but within five to ten shots the action settles in and returns to a sub MOA rifle. The problem is heat tension while the barrel is warm. The expanded warm metals keep it off a little until the barrel settles in after being shot. However, a cold barrel settles back into place for a sub MOA rifle with a consistent point of aim point of impact.
The folding barrel isn’t intended to act like a folding stock – it’s intended to provide compact transportation. Deploy the XAR Invicta AR-15 while it is cold and this folding rifle will keep its zero and sub MOA accuracy.
XAR Invicta AR-15 Key Features
- Fold the rifle in half at the barrel and upper receiver without any tools and can be deployed in less than five seconds
- No loose parts, everything stays attached to the rifle when folded or deployed
- A detent keeps the rifle folded in half
- No tax stamp required
- The XAR features a proprietary direct gas operating system
- Ships with a Pelican Air 1525 hard case with custom foam insert, 20 round Magpul P-mag, and XAR T-Shirt
- The folding mechanism is guaranteed for the life of the rifle.
XAR Invicta AR-15 Specifications
- Caliber: 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington
- Weight: 6.2 lbs
- Barrel Length: 16″ or pinned muzzle device 14.5″
- Color: available in black or FDE
- MSRP: $2,499.99
In the near future, the upper receiver will be made available as a standalone purchase. It will be compatible with mil spec AR-15 lower receivers, making the XAR Invicta AR-15 more affordable of a purchase.